Monday, November 2, 2020

Pinging and Tracing. Why are they helpful?

 When trying to access a website, your computer sends packets through routers that eventually gets to your destination site. The destination site then returns the site information you requested back to you through routers. I’ve never pinged or ran a trace command before, so this activity was enlightening. I use a VPN on my devices to have access to streaming services back home, so I have my location set to San Francisco. It is also good to note that the ISP limited the internet speeds on base to 100mb download on base, where I live, versus off base where it is tremendously faster. It took about 143ms to send and receive my packets from google. I decided to ping Canada.ca and gouvernement.fr, respectively, and Frances’ website took 284ms, which Canadas’ timed out. Since gouvernement.fr requires more routers, I figured that it would time considerably while Canada.ca timed out. I did attempt to resolve the issue of why Canada.ca timed out, and I found that I needed to enter the third domain of www to get the website to respond. After doing so, it took that site 173ms to respond to my trace and ping.

Each of these commands is great for testing the speed of your connection and determining issues with your connection. The ping command can help you determine if the destination host is active, which is essential in determining if you have problems with your router or ISP or if the host destination has too much traffic. The tracers/traceroute command also helps with choosing if you have hardware glitches that simple troubleshooting cannot determine.

Ping Testing

Screenshot 2020-10-17 205913.png

Screenshot 2020-10-17 205949 2.png

Tracerts

Google tracert.png

 

france tracert.png

Canada.ca With Third Domain 

Canada .png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newbie to Newbie Algorithms and Data Structures

As a newbie myself, I can see how this topic can be a little daunting or even pointless at times. However, understanding how algorithms and ...